Non-binary educator and activist Marielle Burt will share their experiences discussing gender identity with students and detail steps you can take to create affirming classrooms. Teachers, school leaders, and curriculum designers will learn how to support inclusivity.
What You'll Learn
- What challenges do non-binary and trans students face in the classroom?
- How can you build supportive classrooms and schools?
- How can you check your gender biases as a teacher?
- How should you discuss chosen names and pronouns with students?
- What does an inclusive, intersectional curriculum include?
- How should you interact with families of LGBTQ students?
- How can school leaders help non-binary and trans students?
- Where can you find helpful resources?
Who Should Attend?
- Certificate of Attendance
- All resources and training materials
- Providence-based educator who leads classes in game design and theater
- Teaches at nonprofit arts organizations, including City Arts, Trinity Repertory Company, The Manton Avenue Project, The Cape Verdean Community Development, PASA, and The Wilbury Theater
- Designs escape rooms and interactive games, including Neocurations, a museum game featured by the RISD Museum
- Double-majored in Literature and Gender/Sexuality Studies at Brown University
- Certificate in elementary education from the Relay Graduate School